Addy / ISN North American Low Carbon Emission Energy Self-Sufficiency Fund
The Addy / ISN North American Low Carbon Emission Energy Self-Sufficiency Fund has been made possible by the generosity and vision of Lydia and William Addy ’82 P14 and provides term funding for innovative research aimed at reducing carbon emissions and creating an energy self-sufficient North America. The Andlinger Center, through the Addy Fund, can provide up to $100,000 per proposal for year-long projects that may begin as early as late spring 2013 and must begin by September 1, 2013. Funds are available to support up to four projects in this call for proposals. The recipients must pursue high risk/high payoff work in areas new to their current research portfolios but for which their current expertise could be readily utilized.
Proposals will be reviewed considering the potential impact on leading North America to become energy self-sufficient, the degree to which the lead faculty member is pursuing a new avenue of research, and the innovation of the proposed research. Including a plan for interdisciplinary work, in partnership with another faculty member, is also required.
Expenditures can include stipends, employee benefits, graduate student tuition, research-related travel, publication costs, and laboratory or research equipment and supplies associated with the project. Indirect costs do not need to be included. A faculty committee with suitably broad cross-disciplinary representation will be appointed to evaluate the proposals and make funding recommendations.
Please submit the following items (attention: Professor Emily Carter) by April 15, 2013, to email@example.com:
- a completed proposal cover page;
- a narrative of no more than three pages (single spaced, 12 point font, not including references) that describes a plan for research that meets the stated requirements;
- a separate budget page with justification; and
- the titles and duration of currently funded research grants and those pending, with a brief explanation as to how the current submission represents a new direction from other funded work underway by the faculty members
Recipients of Addy / ISN North American Low Carbon Emission Self-Sufficiency funds will be required to do the following:
- submit a three page narrative report to the ACEE by the project end date, describing accomplishments in research and education made possible by the grant and a list of resulting publications, invention disclosures and patents filed, and presentations at conferences, and another tangible outcomes from the research (list does not count toward the 3-page requirement);
- submit a detailed account for the use of funds received including names of personnel supported, equipment purchased, etc.;
- provide acknowledgment to the supporting donor in any subsequent publication or program publicity that may result from the project; and
- notify the ACEE once per year of additional accomplishments in research and education made possible by the grant.
Incomplete funding applications will not be considered. Notification of awards will be made in late May 2013.